I graduated from high school in the spring of 1992. In the fall of that same year, I attended my first college. Yes you read that right, I attended my FIRST college. In the years following I have been to four different colleges five different times. Here’s my list of all the colleges and majors that I have attempted over the years.
- Northwest Nazarene College (1992-1993) Psychology
- Montana State University (1993-1994) Media and Theater Arts
- Boise State University (2000-2001) Communications with a minor in Theater
- Boise State University (2002-2002) Business Administration
- Vineyard Leadership Institute(2002-2004) Diploma in Christian Ministry…the only thing I have actually completed…thanks Chad!
As you can tell it has been a long road with nothing to show for it. There have been many reasons for me not graduating from college yet, but the biggest one has been laziness, plain and simple. I get going at it. I do a good job. And then I don’t want to do it anymore.
A few years ago, I decided to give it another shot, this time through online courses. Since 2008, I have been attending Western Governors University, studying IT/Network Administration. It hasn’t been easy, but I hope it will be worth it. I have about a year left before I finally hold that piece of paper that has been so hard to come by for almost twenty years.
For some the attainment of a degree, is not much bigger than achieving their high school diploma. Let me tell ya, it will mean a lot more than that to me.
And, my kids will finish college (if they decide to go) the first time, even if I have to drag them kicking and screaming across the finish line.